Free bulky waste collection signed, sealed and (almost) delivered
June 12, 2020
It's happening. The contract for the free bulky waste collection across Canberra has been signed! Here's what you need to know:
- The service will roll out in Tuggeranong and Gungahlin first, from 1 July 2020. Then Belconnen, Molonglo and Hall in 2021-22, Woden and Weston Creek in 2022-23 and the inner north and inner south in 2023-24.
- Each household will receive one free collection per year of up to two cubic metres (about the size of a box trailer). Collections will occur through a booking service.
- The contractor, Suez, will partner with the Salvos and Vinnies to identify valuable items which can be sold through their shopfronts.
- Suez will also offer 'Last Chance Saturdays' where the community will be able to rescue items - free of charge - on nominated Saturdays.
- 14 new jobs will be created in 2020-21 - and more jobs will be created as the service expands.
- Suez will also introduce an indigenous driver training program to assist in the delivery of the service.
This is something you told me you wanted. I campaigned hard for it. It became an election commitment. And I'm SO excited to see it delivered!